Technique Junkies

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tips & Variations: Shaving Cream Technique

Hi, friends!  I'm so sorry I didn't get a video out this month--SO many things happened in January that really shook my world, last of all was the flu!  SO...I'm here with a special variations post!  I've been snowed in after the flu and so I didn't have a chance to get shaving cream, so I looked and looked and figured out a way to do a FAUX SHAVING CREAM that give a similar effect to the real thing!

Here's the card I made with the FAUX technique~

So, wanna know how to do this?  Well, good!  That's why I'm here today!  I've got some step by step instructions on how to create this--and you won't need to worry about glove or getting things really messy!  This is just a medium mess way to get the effect! ;)

Supplies you'll need:
1. Large acrylic block (Or small, depends on how much you're wanting to make!)
2. Inks (I used 3, but you can use as many as you'd like.)
3. Glossy card stock (It makes it easier!)
4. Jumbo wheel with larger block words/images on it

How to:
1. Ink up a large acrylic blog with the lightest color of ink.
2. Ink up your jumbo wheel with the next lightest color of ink.
3. Set the wheel onto the acrylic block and smudge/smear a bit.
4. Continue in a few places until you like the amount of color.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 with the darkest color of ink.
6. Lay the glossy card stock on top of the block and rub the back of it really good.
7. Remove the card stock.  Smear the colors with your finger tip.
8. Use it on a project!

There you go!  So simple--and I LOVE the way it looks!

If you still want to try the original REALLY messy (AND FUN) technique, we have a few tips for that technique, too!

Louise says, "I used a plastic spatula to remove the foam, gave a much crisper finish that the tissue and didn't smudge. Also, try drawing a shape in the foam before you print, and don't forget you can take a few prints off before it gets too messed up."

I'd also like to add that you can use reinkers and not just spritzes and sprays!  I bet you could even use food coloring!  Now I need to go try it out! ;)

I hope you join in our challenge this month--with the real deal or the faux technique!  HUGS and happy stamping to you all!


No comments: